Wednesday, April 19, 2006

It was only a dream....

So, the process of blogging about marathon weekend will take a few days -- here is another story about the big weekend...

On Thursday afternoon, I made a mental note that after the festival days for Passover and then Shabbat were over, I needed to clip my toenails (which were REALLY REALLY long and grazing the toe of my shoes...). On Saturday, I made another mental note to do this before race day and then promptly fell asleep on Saturday night without doing so.

I got dressed on marathon Monday, proceeded to Hopkinton, and started the race (read previous post for list of things that hasn't gone quite as planned). Down the road a good bit, I started to notice that my feet and toes felt irritated. I chalked this up to rubbing on my socks despite all of the lubrication I put on them to avoid blisters. I was thinking about what else the problem could be and eliminated toenail problems since "I cut them on Sunday evening."

With the race completed, I headed back to the DFMC runner's center to change out of my stinky running clothes and put on a nice comfortable pair of dry socks and my flip-flops. When I took my race socks off, I found a bloody toe - nothing compared to last year but bloody none the less. Upon closer evaluation, I also found that I had not trimmed my toe nails and the irritation I felt during the race was my toenails rubbing the end of my running shoe briefly during each stride.

The medication I am on for depression has listed as a potential side effect "vivid dreams" and I've definately been having some. Apparently, the toenail cutting that I thought happened on Sunday was simply the product of a worried marathon runner on medication that causes vivid dreams! Sadly, it was only a dream. Lesson for next time: double check the toes when getting dressed before a big race.

Thankfully, once cleaned off, the blood was only from a tiny nick in the skin on one toe -- disaster averted (atleast this time)....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home