Sunday, February 05, 2006

Hitting the trails

I've been jealous of those people in runner's world who are hitting beautiful trails and beaches on their runs so I ran to one of several wilderness reservations in the Boston area to do a little trail running for this week's long run. After being sick all week, I needed a little time running with the rocks and trees.

The route was by far the hilliest I've run this training season. My legs and cardio system seemed fine even when pushed a little bit. I stopped my watch for a bit and took on an additional rocky, steep section just so that I could see what turned out to be an amazing few of the city. All together, I ran somewhere between 12-13 miles.

The bonus for the run was getting to spot a red fox scurrying around some trees and under the rocks! I saw something running beside me in the trees and was able to just get my head around as it disappeared in the rocks. Simply beautiful. Birds and running water -- I didn't even notice the rain showers and when I looked at my watch was shocked to find out it was time to turn around despite running at a good clip!

After the run, I realized that despite being behind in my training, I'm in a lot better shape than I was last year at this time. My baseline fitness is better, I'm a more experienced runner, and I'm getting atleast 2 out of 3 runs per week in. Marathon Monday may not be as ugly as I've been fearing after all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home