Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Rise,Run, and Learn

The alarm clock went off at 4 this morning and I found myself wondering if I have the mental toughness to run the marathon as a new parent. Soon after, I found myself pounding the pavement for a slushy but warm (33 degree) run and decided that YES I AM TOUGH ENOUGH! In addition to new music on my IPOD, today's run featured 2 skunks, only 2 other runners on the road -- at 6am (an hour and a half later than I was), and running that sometimes was a combination of cross country running (due to large unshovelled areas) and running on a hockey rink (memories of Cool Runnings anyone?). Needless to say, I wasn't able to get my full mileage in during the time before work but I did learn a few valuable lessons.

About half way through the run, I realized that I wasn't paying attention to form and foot/pavement contact. Rather than attacking the pavement, I was just bouncing off of it. Once I began to use all of the muscles in my backside, the running was more effecient and faster. My feet also took less of a beating because they had an active role rather than simply being a battering ram for the pavement. I wonder how it is that I've been running this way and never noticed it!

I also was able to remember (once I talked myself out of my nice toasty house) that I actually enjoy running tremendously when I get out before work -- long before other runners and traffic. At 4 am, you never know what you'll see...today it was 2 skunks -- one day last year, a coffeeshop employee noticed me running a route by their shop. The next week, on my last pass, they had a cup of hot coffee in a "To Go Cup" with the lid taped shut so I could run home...

The most important lesson of the run -- I have the mental toughness to do this crazy marathon training during New England Winter while being a parent thing!

1 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home