Monday, March 06, 2006

The M-Word...

So I met on Friday with a shrink about starting medication to treat my depression and PTSD symptoms. As I mentioned previously, I've been battling depression for quite a while now but things have just gotten to the point that I can't fight it without a little additional help. In the course of trying to decide on meds vs. no meds, I was really concerned with the possibility of anything interferring with my running. Luckily, the medication that I'll be taking doesn't usually cause weight gain, though it can cause sluggishness at first in some people.

We are heading down South later in the week to visit our families so I'm going to hold off on starting a new medication until after the trip. I don't see any point in risking an allergic/bad reaction and ruining a week of warm weather running and spending time with the family. Especially when my stress level should be lower which will hopefully make interacting with the outside world a little less paralyzing....in the meantime, I've got to manage to get through one more day at my office (not a small feat these days!).

On the upside, yesterday's run was good for the most part. My feet were hurting by the end because I failed to think about running surfaces when I mapped my route and ended up running on concrete, cobble, and slate for much of the run. I was worried that they would hurt this morning but it seems that the post-run foot massage did the trick.

The only adventure of the evening was a near decapitation of my head by a 8-10 year old boy standing on the steps of a brownstone with his mother! He smiled as I passed and I smiled back, next thing I know a 2 foot stick is buzzing my head (yes, I could feel the breeze) and bouncing off of a near by car. He had to have launched the stick 15-20 feet from the top step. I opted to keep running as I heard his mother crying and screaming "Not at people, you don't throw the stick at people!" For me, that begs the question - what does he normally throw his sticks at? I hate to think...

Well, that's it for now...the next post will be from the warm, hopefully sunny south. The forecast is for 70s-80s while we are there which is a significant change from the weather here in New England of later...until then, waddle on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home